Learn More About Vision 2020
What is Vision 2020?
Vision 2020 refers to University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health’s (UM UCH) plans for transforming health care in the northeast region of Maryland. Vision 2020 represents years of planning. It is our mission to improve the health care delivered to Harford and western Cecil counties by increasing access to care, coordinating efforts between hospital care providers with community care providers and developing our properties to support this new approach. Vision 2020 impacts more than the physical space from which we operate. Our most important objective is to provide the safest and best quality of care possible for our community.
Status as of January 23, 2018
- UM UCH continues its extensive regulatory process that is required in order for construction to begin. These include approval to expand the Bel Air hospital, a certificate of need for the Specialty Psychiatric Facility, and the approval needed for the freestanding medical facility in accordance with Maryland legislation.
- In addition, the financing for the project will need approval by the Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC), Maryland Health Care Commission (MHCC), and state financing authority, as well as the Maryland Health and Higher Educational Facilities Authority (MHHEFA).
- Until approvals are received, the plans for the re-use and ultimate sale of University of Maryland Harford Memorial Hospital cannot move forward.
- As it relates to Zoning Ordinance 996, while we are generally comfortable with and supportive of the proposed changes in the city ordinance, we suggested several amendments to the draft zoning language that would allow flexibility for this property to evolve to meet community needs in the future.
- On January 18, Union Hospital of Elkton announced its pending merger with LifeBridge Health later this year. Though Union was included as a partner in our behavioral health planning on the new campus, that partnership was not contingent on UM UCH developing this much needed community service. Plans for the UM UCH behavioral health program will continue moving forward.
- UM UCH expects to receive all the necessary approvals over the next year. Once these approvals are granted we will be able to advance our Vision 2020 planning.
Please continue to follow this page for ongoing updates.
Frequently Asked Questions