Financial Assistance

Help for Patients to Pay Hospital Care Costs

Language Translation Provided

We've translated this information into the language listed below. To view, please follow this link:

We treat all patients needing emergency care, no matter what they are able to pay. However, there are services provided by physicians or other providers that may not be covered by the hospital Financial Assistance Policy. You can call (443) 843-5092 if you have questions.

How the process works:
When you become a patient, we ask if you have any health insurance. We will not charge you more for hospital services than we charge people with health insurance. The hospital will:

  1. Give you information about our financial assistance policy, or
  2. Offer you help with a counselor who will help you with the application.

How we review your application:
We'll look at your ability to pay for care, including factors like your income and family size. You may receive free or lower costs of care if:  

  1. Your income or your family’s total income is low for the area where you live, or
  2. Your income falls below the federal poverty level if you had to pay for the full cost of your hospital care, minus any health insurance payments.  

If you are able to get financial help, we will tell you how much you can get. If you are not able to get financial help, we will tell you why not.

How to apply for financial help:

  1. Fill out a Financial Assistance Application Form.
  2. Give us all of your information to help us understand your financial situation.
  3. Turn the Application Form in to us.
  4. Please note: We must screen patients for Medicaid before giving financial help.  
Other helpful information:
  • You can get a free hard copy of our Financial Assistance Policy and Application Form:
  • In person at UM Upper Chesapeake Health,  2027 Pulaski Highway Ste 215, Havre de Grace MD 21078
  • By mail: call (443) 843-5092 to request a copy  
  • You can call the Financial Assistance Department at 443-843-5092 if you have questions or need help applying.