Kaolin/pectin (By mouth)
Kaolin (KAY-oh-lin), Pectin (PEK-tin)
Kaodene NN, Kaolinpec
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often. If your doctor did not order this medicine, follow the instructions on the package label. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- Shake the bottle well before each use.
- Measure your dose carefully using a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Use a dose of the medicine after each loose bowel movement.
- Do not share your medicine with anybody else.
- Drink plenty of caffeine-free, clear liquids during the first 24 hours. You will need to replace the fluids your body loses when you have diarrhea.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine is usually used after a loose bowel movement. It is not used on a regular schedule unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are using lincomycin, clindamycin, or digoxin (Lanoxin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before using this medicine.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor if you still have diarrhea after 48 hours or if you get a fever.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Swelling of your lower abdomen
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 6/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.