Verapamil (By injection)
Treats irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). This medicine is a calcium channel blocker.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using clonidine (Catapres®), digoxin (Digitek®, Lanoxin®), disopyramide (Norpace®), flecainide (Tambocor®), quinidine (Quinidex®), or blood pressure medicines (such as atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol, or Toprol®) given by mouth.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using dantrolene (Dantrium®), telithromycin (Ketek®), tubocurarine, vecuronium (Norcuron®), or medicine to lower cholesterol (such as atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin, Lipitor®, or Zocor®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, brain tumor, or muscular dystrophy or other muscle problems. Tell your doctor about all heart problems you have, including heart disease, heart failure, or rhythm problems such as Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or lightheaded. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you have received this medicine recently.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.