Typhoid vaccine, live (By mouth)
Typhoid Vaccine, Live (TYE-foid VAX-een, lyve)
Prevents typhoid fever.
Vivotif, Vivotif Berna
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Delayed Release Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Take this medicine with cold or lukewarm liquid one hour before a meal.
- You will take a total of 4 separate doses of this medicine.
- Swallow the extended-release capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store this medicine in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a sulfa drug such as trimethoprim, sulfamethoxazole, Bactrim®, Cotrim®, or Septra®. Tell your doctor if you are using any other medicine to treat infection (antibiotics) such as amoxicillin, penicillin, Amoxil®, Augmentin®, Ceclor®, cefaclor, Cefzil®, cephalexin, Keflex®, doxycycline, erythromycin, tetracycline, Cipro®, Levaquin®, or others. Tell your doctor if you are using medicine such as proguanil.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have any stomach disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea or mild stomach pain.
- Fever, headache.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Nausea or mild vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.