Treats advanced prostate cancer in men.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease, liver disease, bladder blockage, diabetes, heart or blood vessel disease, or spinal cord problems.
- This medicine may cause a serious type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash; itching; hoarseness; trouble breathing; trouble swallowing; or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth after your receive this medicine.
- When you first start using this medicine, some of your symptoms might get worse or you might have new symptoms for a short time. Tell your doctor right away if you have bone pain, back pain, a tingling or numbness in the body, blood in the urine, or trouble urinating.
- This medicine may cause changes in your blood sugar levels. Check with your doctor if you notice a change in the results of your blood or urine sugar tests.
- This medicine may increase your risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Call your doctor right away if you have chest pain or discomfort; pain or discomfort in the arms, jaw, back, or neck; shortness of breath; nausea; sweating; or vomiting.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments. Blood and urine tests may be needed to check for unwanted effects.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or cloudy urine, difficult or painful urination.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat.
- Fever, chills, cough, runny nose, sore throat, and body aches.
- Increased hunger or thirst.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Shortness of breath or troubled breathing.
- Swelling of the face, hands, legs, or feet.
- Weakness or loss of muscle control, especially in the legs or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bone, back, or leg pain.
- Decreased interest in sex, inability to have or maintain an erection.
- Headache or dizziness.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given.
- Trouble having sex or loss of interest in sex.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.