Triamcinolone (For the teeth or gums)
Treats pain and redness caused by mouth sores or gum problems. Belongs to a class of drugs called corticosteroids.
Kenalog In Orabase, Oralone
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor or dentist will tell you how much to use and how often.
- Use the medicine on the inside of your mouth.
- It is best to use the medicine at bedtime so it can work overnight. If you also use the medicine during the day, put it on after meals.
- Squeeze about 1/4 inch of the paste from the tube onto a cotton swab (Q-tip®). Press the paste on the area you are treating until the medicine sticks and a thin film forms.
- Do not rub the medicine in. Rubbing may cause the paste to crumble or become gritty.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- Do not put on two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have tuberculosis, diabetes, ulcers, or chickenpox before you use this medicine.
- If your symptoms do not get better after using this medicine for 7 days, tell your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe itching, burning, or irritation in your mouth
- Drainage, pus, or other signs of infection where you are using the medicine
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.