Tetracaine (Into the eye)
Decreases feeling in your eyes before a surgery, test, or procedure. This medicine is a topical anesthetic.
Altacaine, Tetcaine HCl, TetraVisc, TetraVisc Forte
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as a drop into your eye.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure you do not rub your eye, or expose your eye to irritating chemicals or dust particles after you receive this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, dizziness or drowsiness.
- Blurred vision.
- Chest pain or trouble breathing.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Seizures or tremors.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Swelling, redness, severe pain or itching of your eyes or eyelids.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Depression (sadness) or agitation.
- Mild irritation, burning, or watering of your eyes.
- Sensitivity to light.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.