Silver sulfadiazine (On the skin)
Silver Sulfadiazine (SIL-ver sul-fa-DYE-a-zeen)
Prevents and treats skin infections in patients with severe burns.
SSD, Silvadene, Thermazene
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Before using the cream, clean off any dead skin or scabbing from the burn wound.
- Wear sterile gloves to apply this medicine.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream over the wound. You may then cover the wound with a bandage if needed.
- Keep the wound area clean and covered with the medicine at all times.
- If the cream washes off during a bath or other activity, clean the wound again and put on more cream.
- To help clear up your skin or burn infection completely, keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment. You should keep using this medicine until the burned area has healed or is ready for skin grafting.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cimetidine (Tagamet®).
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or an enzyme problem called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency.
- This medicine is a sulfa drug (sulfonamide). Rarely, this topical cream might cause some of the side effects seen with oral sulfa drugs. This includes allergic reactions. Check with your doctor right away if you have a blistering, peeling, red skin rash or other severe symptoms (such as unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness).
- If your burn wounds do not heal or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in skin color
- Mild rash
- Skin discomfort when in sunlight
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.