Treats infection caused by bacteria. This medicine is a penicillin antibiotic.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins or as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
If a dose is missed:
- Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- After mixing this medicine for injection, you may store it for 3 days at room temperature or 7 days under refrigeration.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine, containers, and other supplies. Throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine to treat an infection such as doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline, Minocin®, or Vibramycin®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease, kidney disease, asthma, or any allergies.
- Use this medicine to treat only the infection your doctor has prescribed it for. Do not use this medicine for any infection that has not been checked by your doctor.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody urine.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Diarrhea that may contain blood.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, or body aches.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or pain in your upper stomach.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blackish-colored tongue.
- Joint pain or muscle cramps.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain.
- Mild skin rash.
- Sores or white patches on your lips, mouth, or throat.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.