Morrhuate Sodium (MOR-ue-ate SOE-dee-um)
Treats primary varicosed (abnormally swollen) veins.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. Right after you receive the shot, your vein will become hard and swollen in the area where the shot was given. The vein will remain hard and a little tender to the touch for 24 hours (1 day). The skin around the area where the shot was given may become light-bronze in color.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have any infections (including infected ulcers).
- You may feel achy and stiff for about 2 days (48 hours) after you receive this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning feeling or muscle cramping where the shot was given.
- Chest pain, cough, difficulty breathing.
- Feeling unusually drowsy or dizzy.
- Skin redness, or rash.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.