Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (By mouth)
Treats depression, anxiety, and phobias with depression.
Azilect, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, Parnate
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take the medicine with or without food.
- It may take 2 to 4 weeks for you to feel better when using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store this medicine at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Certain foods and drinks can cause dangerously high blood pressure if you eat them while using this medicine. Some of these are: cheese, sour cream, Chianti wine, sherry, beer, liqueurs, anchovies, caviar, liver, raisins, bananas, avocados, chocolate, soy sauce, yeasts, yogurt, and meats prepared with tenderizers.
- Avoid drinking large amounts of beverages that contain caffeine (such as coffee, tea, and soda pop).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe headache
- Fast, pounding heartbeat
- Tightness in chest or throat
- Neck stiffness
- Nausea, vomiting, sweating
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.