Methyl aminolevulinate (On the skin)
Methyl Aminolevulinate (METH-il a-mee-noe-lev-ue-LIN-ate)
Used with photodynamic therapy (light treatment) to treat skin growths on the face and scalp called actinic keratosis (AK).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- This medicine will be applied in a clinic or doctor's office.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a history of bleeding problems.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe redness, swelling, burning, or stinging of your skin.
- Skin bleeding, blisters, crusting, peeling, or ulcers.
- Swelling of your eyelid.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild redness, itching, pain, warmth, tightness, or darkening of your skin.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.