Lidocaine patch (On the skin)
Treats nerve pain that is caused by herpes zoster, or "shingles."
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how many patches to use, where to apply them, and how often to apply them. Do not use more patches or apply them more often than your doctor tells you to. Do not leave a skin patch on for longer than your doctor tells you to.
- The usual dose of this medicine is 1 to 3 patches applied to the painful skin area. The patch can be worn for up to 12 hours. Do not wear the patch for longer than 12 hours in any 24-hour period.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after applying a patch. After applying a patch, do not touch anything until you have washed your hands.
- Before you remove the patch liner, you may trim the patch with scissors or cut it into smaller pieces to fit your skin areas.
- Do not put the patch over burns, cuts, or irritated skin. If you feel a slight stinging or burning where you apply the patch, remove it right away. You may put the patch back on once the stinging or burning goes away.
- Put on a new patch if the old one has fallen off and cannot be reapplied.
If a dose is missed:
- If you forget to wear or change a patch, put one on as soon as you can. If it is almost time to put on your next patch, wait until then to apply a new patch and skip the one you missed. Do not apply extra patches to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the patches at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the patches inside the resealable envelope until you are ready to use one. Reseal the envelope and keep it closed at all times when storing it.
- It is very important to store the patches where children or pets cannot reach them. Each patch has enough medicine to cause serious illness in a pet or small child who might chew on it.
- Fold the used patch in half with the sticky sides together. Throw any used patch away so that children or pets cannot get to it. You will also need to throw away old patches after the expiration date has passed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine to treat abnormal heart rhythm, such as disopyramide, flecainide, mexiletine, procainamide, propafenone, quinidine, Mexitil®, Norpace®, Procanbid®, Rythmol®, or Tambocor®. Tell your doctor if you are using any other medicines on your skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have liver disease. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any type of medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting.
- Muscle twitches or tremors that you cannot control.
- Ringing in your ears.
- Slow heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurry or double vision.
- Feeling restless, jittery, or more tired than usual.
- Redness, swelling, burning, itching, bruising, or rash where you apply the patch.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.