Lidocaine (On the skin)
Relieves the pain of a sore mouth or throat, minor burns, sunburn, insect bites, and other medical problems. May also be used by men to treat premature ejaculation (a sex problem) and prolong an erection.
Anecream, Anestafoam, Burn-O-Jel, Burnamycin, Corta-Cap Needle Ease, Ela-Max, LC-4, LC-5, LMX 4, LMX 5, Lida Mantle, LidoRx, Lidocream, PharmaPure RX Lidocaine HCl, Premjact
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Foam, Cream, Pad, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Lotion, Ointment, Spray
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use, where to apply it, and how often to apply it. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. Unless directed by your doctor, do not apply this medicine to open wounds, burns, broken or inflamed skin, or to a large area of skin.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- You might have trouble swallowing if you spray this medicine in your throat, or the back of your mouth. Do not eat or drink for 60 minutes after using this medicine in your mouth or throat.
- You might need to shake the spray form well just before each use.
- Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If the medicine does get in your eyes, wash your eyes with water right away.
- For men using this medicine to treat problems with sex: Spray it on your penis before you have sex. Most men need to spray the medicine at least 3 times. Do not spray the medicine more than 10 times during each session. Over time, you will learn how many times, and how early, to spray the medicine for your condition.
If a dose is missed:
- If you are using this medicine on a regular schedule: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Using too much of this medicine or using it on a large part of your skin can cause serious side effects. Stop using this medicine and contact your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms: lightheadedness, dizziness, vision problems, irregular or slow heartbeat, difficulty with breathing, or seizures.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred or double vision.
- Confusion, dizziness, or lightheadedness.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Skin or throat swelling, redness, itching, rash, or pain.
- Slow, irregular, or uneven heartbeat.
- Tremor or seizures.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.