Levocarnitine (By mouth)
Treats carnitine deficiency.
Carnitor, Carnitor SF, Sundown Naturals L-Carnitine
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Wafer, Liquid Filled Capsule, Liquid, Powder, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- It is best to take this medicine with meals, at evenly spaced times during the day.
- Swallow the capsule, gel capsule, or tablet whole. Do not crush, chew, or break it.
- The chewable wafer should be chewed before you swallow it.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup. The liquid may be taken alone or dissolved in juice or water. Drink the medicine slowly.
- Mix the powder with at least 4 ounces of juice or water and drink the mixture slowly.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, or a seizure disorder.
- Your doctor may want to test your blood while you are taking this medicine. Make sure you keep all your appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Stomach cramps
- Unusual body odor
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.