Lanthanum carbonate (By mouth)
Lanthanum Carbonate (LAN-tha-num KAR-bo-nate)
Lowers phosphate levels in patients with end-stage kidney disease who are on dialysis.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with or immediately right after meals.
- Chew or crush the tablet completely before swallowing. Do not swallow whole tablets.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using. Take them at least 1 hour before or 3 hours after you take lanthanum.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using certain antibiotics (such as ampicillin, tetracycline, Omnipen®, Polycillin®, Principen®, Sumycin®, or Totacillin®). certain blood pressure medicine (such as diltiazem, enalapril, lisinopril, nifedipine, verapamil, Accupril®, Lotrel®, or Norvasc®), medicine to lower cholesterol (such as atorvastatin, lovastatin, Lescol®, Lipitor®, Pravachol®, or Zocor®), medicine to treat malaria (such as quinine, chloroquine, or Mepron®), or thyroid replacement hormones (such as levothyroxine, Synthroid®). These medicines should be taken 2 hours before or 2 hours after using lanthanum.
- Tell your doctor if you are using certain antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, levofloxacin, Ciloxan®, Cipro®, Levaquin®, or Tequin. These medicines should be taken 1 hour before or 4 hours after taking lanthanum.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a blocked digestive tube, constipation, Crohn's disease, diabetes, stomach ulcer, ulcerative colitis, or a history of colon cancer or stomach surgery.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or trouble breathing.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Severe stomach pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Cough or runny nose.
- Mild stomach upset.
- Nausea, mild vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.