Irbesartan (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure with or without diabetic nephropathy. A lower blood pressure can reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack. This medicine is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids if you exercise, sweat more than usual, or have diarrhea or vomiting.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you use aliskiren (Tekturna®), an NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, Advil®, Aleve®, Celebrex®, Voltaren®), a diuretic (water pill, such as amiloride, spironolactone, triamterene, Aldactone®), or certain blood pressure medicines (such as benazepril, enalapril, lisinopril, Lotrel®, Vasotec®, Zestoretic®, Zestril®).
- Ask your doctor before you use medicines, supplements, or salt substitutes that contain potassium.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, congestive heart failure, or a mineral imbalance (such as low sodium in the blood). Tell your doctor if you are experiencing diarrhea or vomiting.
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much and cause you to feel dizzy or lightheaded. Stand or sit up slowly if you are dizzy. This is more likely to happen when you begin to use the medicine or if you become dehydrated.
- Do not stop using the medicine without asking your doctor even if you feel well. This medicine will not cure your high blood pressure, but it will help keep it in the normal range. You may have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Confusion, weakness, uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.