Treats rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn disease, plaque psoriasis, and ulcerative colitis.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. This medicine needs to be given slowly. The needle will need to be in place for at least 2 hours.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines may affect how infliximab works. Tell your doctor if you are using abatacept, anakinra, etanercept, tocilizumab, or other biologics. Also, tell your doctor if you are using cyclosporine, theophylline, a medicine that weakens your immune system (such as methotrexate or a steroid medicine), or a blood thinner (such as warfarin). Tell your doctor if you have had light treatment for psoriasis.
- This medicine may interfere with vaccines. Ask your doctor before you get a flu shot or any other vaccines. Children should be current on all vaccines before they start treatment with this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, a bleeding disorder, blood or bone marrow problems, cancer, heart problems, COPD, diabetes, a weak immune system, active or a history of tuberculosis or hepatitis B, or any type of infection. Tell your doctor if you have a history of seizures, multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, or a similar nervous system disease.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Higher risk of infection
- Infusion reaction
- Higher risk of lymphoma or other cancers (including skin cancer)
- Liver problems (including hepatitis)
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Avoid people who are ill, and wash your hands often. Brush and floss your teeth gently, do not play rough sports, and be careful with sharp objects.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fever, chills, cough, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, body aches
- Infusion reaction: fever, chills, chest pain, headache, lightheadedness, nausea, trouble breathing, rash
- Joint or muscle pain
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Seizures, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Swollen glands
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, tiredness, or weakness
- Warm, red, swollen, or painful skin, blisters, skin sores
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, pain, or swelling where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.