Hylan G-f 20 (Injection)
Hylan Polymers A and B (HYE-lan POL-a-mers A and B)
Treats knee pain caused by osteoarthritis.
Synvisc, Synvisc Hylan G-F, Synvisc Hylan GF, Synvisc One
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. This medicine is put into your knee joint through a needle that goes into the skin of your knee.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. Keep all appointments. If you miss a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or if you have had an allergic reaction to bird products such as poultry, eggs, or feathers. Tell your doctor if you have poor circulation in your legs, or if you have a recent history of too much fluid in your knee.
- After you receive this medicine, you may need to avoid certain activities for a short time. Activities to avoid include jogging, most sports, heavy lifting, or standing for a long time. Talk to your doctor for more information about activities to avoid, and how long to avoid them.
- It may take several weeks for this medicine to have its full effect.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, fast heartbeat.
- New numbness or tingling.
- Knee pain, swelling, redness, warmth, or extra fluid around your knee.
- Swelling in your arms or legs.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
- Wheezing, trouble swallowing, skin rash, sleepiness, dizziness, flushing (warmth and redness of the skin of your upper body), fever, or chills (shaking).
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Muscle pain or cramping.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.