Hydrocodone/pseudoephedrine (By mouth)
Hydrocodone Bitartrate (hye-droe-KOE-done bye-TAR-trate), Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride (soo-doe-e-FED-rin hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Relieves cough and stuffy nose caused by the common cold. This medicine is a combination of a narcotic cough suppressant and a decongestant.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using dicycloverine (Bentyl®) or medicine for depression (such as amitriptyline, doxepin, imipramine, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®),
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison's disease, asthma or other breathing problems, diabetes, heart or blood vessel problems, enlarged prostate, problems with passing urine, or thyroid problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of drug abuse.
- Symptoms of an overdose include: extreme dizziness or weakness, shortness of breath, slow heartbeat or breathing, seizures, and cold, clammy skin. In case of an overdose, call your doctor right away.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Extreme dizziness or weakness, shortness of breath, and cold, clammy skin.
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Seizures or tremors.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety, mood changes, or drowsiness.
- Constipation, nausea, or vomiting.
- Skin rash or itching.
- Trouble sleeping.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.