Glycolic acid (On the skin)
Glycolic Acid (glye-KOL-ik AS-id)
Used as a cleanser for your skin or scalp.
Aqua Glycolic Hand & Body
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Use the lotion form of this medicine one time per day. If it does not irritate your skin, you may use it two times daily. Do not use the lotion more than two times in 24 hours.
- Use the shampoo form of this medicine one time per day. Wet your hair and massage the shampoo into your scalp. Leave this lather on for 2 or 3 minutes and then rinse it out completely. Do not apply the shampoo a second time. You may also use the shampoo as a body wash. Be sure to rinse it off completely.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If this medicine irritates your skin or scalp, stop using it and call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, stinging, itching, or redness of your skin where the medicine is applied.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.