Dutasteride (By mouth)
Treats problems with urination caused by an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH). This medicine is used alone or may be combined with tamsulosin (Flomax®).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, chew, or open it. The contents of the capsule may irritate your lips, mouth, or throat.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cimetidine (Tagamet®), ciprofloxacin (Cipro®), diltiazem (Cardizem®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), ritonavir (Norvir®), troleandomycin (Tao®), or verapamil (Calan®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should avoid touching or handling this medicine. This medicine can get into the body through the skin and may harm an unborn male baby. If any of this medicine gets on the skin of a pregnant woman, wash the area immediately with soap and water, especially if the capsule is broken.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease.
- Do not donate blood for at least 6 months after you stop taking this medicine. The medicine can remain in your blood for a long time and be passed on to a pregnant woman who receives a blood transfusion.
- This medicine may increase your risk of developing high-grade prostate cancer. Tell your doctor if you have concerns about this risk.
- This medicine may affect the results of the prostate specific antigen (PSA) test, which may be used to detect prostate cancer. Make sure you tell all of your doctors that you are using this medicine.
- This medicine does not usually affect normal sexual abilities for most men. You may notice that you ejaculate less fluid when you have sex.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweat, and bluish-colored skin.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breasts feeling tender or getting bigger.
- Decrease or change in your sexual desire.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Problems with ejaculation.
- Trouble having or keeping an erection.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.