Relaxes your muscles during surgery.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any antibiotics.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using lithium, procainamide (Procanbid®), or quinidine (Quinidex®). Tell your doctor if you are using medicine for seizures such as carbamazepine, phenytoin, Dilantin® or Tegretol®. Make sure your doctor knows if you are receiving magnesium given through a needle placed in one of your veins. Tell your doctor if you have recently received an anesthetic (numbing medicine) given as a shot.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, myasthenia gravis, or cancer.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- High fever, fast heartbeat, muscle stiffness.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Uneven heartbeat, chest pain.
- Weakness, stiffness, or numbness anywhere in your body after you awake from surgery.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling or lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.