Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (dye-fen-HYE-dra-meen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats severe allergic reactions, motion sickness, and symptoms of Parkinson's disease. This medicine is an antihistamine.
BD Simplist DiphenhydrAMINE Hydrochloride, Banaril, Benadryl, Truxadryl
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. It may also be given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using an MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®)
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma, asthma, thyroid problems, or heart disease. Also make sure your doctor knows if you have high blood pressure, a stomach ulcer, or problems with urination or with your prostate. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Painful sore on your skin where the needle is placed.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Constipation, stomach upset.
- Dry nose, mouth, or throat.
- Feeling confused or excited.
- Problems with coordination.
- Thick mucus in your nose or throat.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.