Desoximetasone (On the skin)
Treats skin irritation, allergic reactions, plaque psoriasis, and other skin problems. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
Topicort, Topicort LP
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Gel/Jelly, Ointment, Spray
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- You should not use this medicine on your face, neck, armpits, or groin area unless your doctor tells you to.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- This medicine is not for long-term use. Do not use the spray for more than 4 weeks unless directed by your doctor.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. The spray bottle is flammable. Do not use it near heat, an open flame, or while you smoke.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine. Throw away any spray that you have not used after 30 days.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use other corticosteroid medicines, such as betamethasone, hydrocortisone, triamcinolone, Cortaid®, or Lotrisone®.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, Cushing disease, diabetes, glaucoma, tuberculosis, or a skin infection.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have dizziness or lightheadedness, unusual tiredness or weakness, loss of appetite, puffy face, or thin skin that bruises easily. These may be symptoms of an adrenal gland problem.
- Tell your doctor right away if your skin becomes irritated, dry, red, or swollen or starts to itch or burn. These may be signs of an infection.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Color changes on the skin, dark freckles, easy bruising, muscle weakness
- Round, puffy face
- Severe itching, burning, irritation, redness, swelling, or thinning of the skin
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, or waist
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne or pimples, rash
- Mild itching, burning, or dryness
- Poor healing of the skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.