Decongestant with drying agent (By mouth)
Treats runny nose and congestion caused by allergies, nasal problems, and the common cold.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Tablet, Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Talk to your doctor if you have trouble swallowing the extended-release tablet whole. Some forms of this medicine can be cut in half to make swallowing easier.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a MAO inhibitor (MAOI) such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®. Your doctor will need to know if you are using a medicine to treat impotence such as sildenafil (Viagra®).
- Tell your doctor if you are using indomethacin (Indocin®), mecamylamine (Inversine®), methyldopa (Aldomet®), or reserpine. Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a blood pressure medicine such as atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol, or Toprol®.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, or overactive thyroid. Your doctor will also need to know if you have kidney disease, an enlarged prostate, or trouble urinating because of a blockage.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Adults over 60 years old may be more likely to have side effects from this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or tightness.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Difficult or painful urination.
- Hallucinations (seeing things that are not really there).
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Very fast, pounding, or uneven heart beat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, constipation, or upset stomach.
- Nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite.
- Ringing or buzzing sound in your ears.
- Excessive dryness of your nose, throat, or mouth.
- Tremors, restlessness, or agitation.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Unusual clumsiness or stumbling.
- Vision changes, or blurry vision.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.