Cyproheptadine hydrochloride (By mouth)
Cyproheptadine Hydrochloride (sye-proe-HEP-ta-deen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats hay fever, cold, and allergy symptoms such as runny nose, watery eyes, hives, and swelling. Belongs to a class of drugs called antihistamines.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- You may take your medicine with food to avoid stomach upset.
If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking cyproheptadine.
- Avoid taking other medicines that may make you sleepy, such as other cold or allergy medicines, sleeping pills, sedatives, or tranquilizers.
- Cyproheptadine should not be taken if you are also taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor such as Nardil®, Marplan®, or Parnate®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Let your doctor know if you have ever had asthma, heart disease, overactive thyroid, or high blood pressure.
- Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while taking this medicine.
- This medicine might make you drowsy. Be careful when driving or operating dangerous machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
- Irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Seizures (convulsions)
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Trouble sleeping
- Ringing or pressure inside ear
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat
- Stomach upset
- Urinating more often
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.