Colestipol (By mouth)
Colestipol Hydrochloride (koe-LES-ti-pol hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Lowers high cholesterol levels.
Colestid, Colestid Flavored, Colestid Gran
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- You should not use the powder medicine in dry form.
- Mix the powder with one-half glass (3 ounces) of water, milk, or juice. Drink the mixed medicine right away. Rinse the glass with more liquid and drink that, too, so you get all of the medicine.
- Colestipol powder may also be mixed in milk used on breakfast cereals, chicken or tomato soups, or fruit cocktail.
- If you need to take more than one tablet for your full dose of medicine, swallow each tablet one at a time with plenty of water. Do not crush, break, or chew the tablet.
- Drink several glasses of liquids each day while using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Take other medicines 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after you take colestipol. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you need help deciding the best time to take your medicines.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking propranolol (Inderal®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), "water pills" (such as Lasix® or Diuril®), tetracycline, penicillin G, or gemfibrozil (Lopid®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Talk with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine is used with diet, exercise, and weight loss in overweight patients to control high cholesterol levels. To lower and keep your cholesterol normal, all of these are important.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe constipation and stomach bloating
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach upset or discomfort
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.