Clobazam (By mouth)
Treats seizures from Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. This medicine is a benzodiazepine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Tablet: You may swallow the tablet whole, break it in half along the score, or crush it and mix it in applesauce.
- Oral liquid: Shake the bottle just before each dose. Use the bottle adapter and dosing syringe in the package to measure the right dose. Squirt the right amount of medicine directly into the corner of the mouth. Wash the syringe, barrel, and plunger after each use, and allow the parts to air dry. Do not put the syringe in the dishwasher.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store the bottle upright and with the adapter in place. Throw away any unused oral liquid 90 days after you open the bottle.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how clobazam works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Birth control pills
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or a history of depression or a mood disorder. Tell your doctor if you have been addicted to alcohol or drugs.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Serious skin reactions
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Birth control pills may not work as well when used with this medicine. Use a second form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant and for 28 days after your last dose.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Confusion or unusual excitement, nervousness, or irritability
- Depression, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, unusual behavior, thoughts of hurting yourself or others
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Clumsiness, trouble with coordination
- Dizziness, drowsiness, or sleepiness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.