Treats infections caused by certain types of bacteria. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
Amerinet Choice Ceftriaxone, Novaplus Ceftriaxone, Rocephin
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles or through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. It may also be given by a home healthcare nurse.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
If a dose is missed:
- You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- If you store this medicine at home, keep the unmixed powder medicine at room temperature and protect it from light.
- After the medicine has been mixed with liquid, you may need to store it in the refrigerator. Ask your doctor, pharmacist, or healthcare nurse what is the best way to store the liquid medicine.
- If the liquid medicine has been frozen, let it warm up to room temperature before using it. Throw away any unused medicine after it has thawed. Do not freeze the medicine again after it has thawed.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine, containers, and other supplies. Throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, anemia, gallbladder disease, pancreas problems, or a history of stomach or bowel disease, such as colitis. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to penicillin.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine. .
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Diarrhea that may contain blood.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or pain in your upper stomach.
- Severe diarrhea or vomiting.
- Shortness of breath, tiredness, uneven heartbeat, and yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change or loss of taste.
- Dizziness or headache.
- Mild rash or itching skin.
- Pain, redness, or swelling where the shot is given.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.