Castor oil/peru balsam/trypsin (On the skin)
Castor Oil (KAS-tor oyl), Peru Balsam (per-OO BAL-sam), Trypsin (TRIP-sin)
Treats skin ulcers and certain other types of wounds.
Granulex, TBC, Vasolex, Xenaderm
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get this medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If it does, rinse it with water and call your doctor right away.
- You should not apply this medicine on fresh blood clots.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Before using a new spray bottle, prime the pump by holding the spray upright directly over the wound, and pumping 6 to 8 times.
- Shake the spray bottle before using. Hold it 12 inches from the skin and spray.
- You may feel a tingling sensation after applying this medicine.
- Do not inhale this medicine or use it near heat or an open flame. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Itching or irritation at the site where the medicine is applied.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.