Calcifediol (By mouth)
A form of vitamin D used to treat loss of calcium in bones or hypocalcemia (too little calcium in the blood).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Your doctor may have you take your medicine every day or every other day.
If a dose is missed:
- If you take your medicine every other day and you miss a dose, take your pill as soon as you remember. If you do not remember until the next day, take your pill then and skip a day before taking another.
- If you take your medicine one or more times every day and you miss a dose, take your medicine as soon as you remember. If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking over-the-counter vitamin D or calcium supplements.
- If you use antacids, make sure you take one that does not contain magnesium (such as Amphogel®, Basalgel®, or Tums®).
- Check with your doctor before taking calcifediol if you also take Lanoxin®, Questran®, or medicine for seizures, such as Dilantin®.
- Your doctor may recommend a special diet for you.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Your doctor may want to test your blood while you are taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bone and muscle pain
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Increased urination
- Metal taste in mouth
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.