Brompheniramine (By mouth)
Treats sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, itchy throat, and watery eyes caused by hay fever or other allergies.
Bidhist, Bromax, J-Tan PD, LoHist-12, Lodrane 24, Lodrane XR, Respa-BR, VaZol
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Tablet, Long Acting Capsule, Liquid, Chewable Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Swallow the tablet or capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- It is best to take this medicine with food, water, or milk.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Shake the liquid well just before you use it.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine for depression, such as amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you have an enlarged prostate or an overactive thyroid. Your doctor needs to know if you have a history of asthma, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, or stomach ulcers.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the effects of this medicine.
- Do not give this medicine to a child under 6 years of age unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Extreme drowsiness or confusion.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches.
- Hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or tension.
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat.
- Feeling of excitement (especially in children).
- Stomach discomfort or loss of appetite.
- Problems with balance or walking.
- Sleepiness (especially in older adults).
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, or chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.