Brilliant green/gentian violet/proflavine (On the skin)
Brilliant Green (bril-YENT green), Gentian Violet (JEN-shun VYE-oh-let), Proflavine Sulfate (PROE-flay-vin SUL-fate)
Cleans the umbilical cord (bellybutton) stump of newborn babies to prevent infection.
Kerr Triple Dye
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your baby's eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply the medicine with the applicator provided. Allow the skin to dry before you put on clothes.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to apply the medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your baby's next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Rash or hives, swelling of the face or hands, swelling in the mouth or throat, or trouble breathing.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.