Attapulgite (By mouth)
Treats diarrhea. This medicine was withdrawn from the US market on April 17, 2003.
Donnagel, Kao-Tin, Kaopectate Advanced Formula, Kaopek
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often. Always follow dosing instructions on the medicine label when taking this medicine without the advice of your doctor.
- In most cases, you will take one dose after each bowel movement. Drink plenty of caffeine-free clear liquids such as ginger ale, herb tea, water, gelatin, or broth.
- Swallow the tablet whole.
- Chew the chewable tablet well and swallow.
- Shake the oral liquid well before each use.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store your medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Attapulgite should not be taken at the same time as other medicines; take at least 2 hours before or after other medicines
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Call your doctor if you are still having diarrhea after taking this medicine for 2 days, or if you develop a high fever.
- You may have severe constipation if you take attapulgite for a long period of time or in large doses.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.