Antihemophilic factor (Injection)
Antihemophilic Factor (an-tee-hee-moe-FIL-ik FAK-tor)
Prevents and controls bleeding in patients with hemophilia A.
Advate, Helixate FS, Hemofil M, Koate-DVI, Kogenate FS, Kogenate FS with BIO-SET, Monoclate-P, Recombinate, Refacto, Xyntha
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose:
- It is important that you use this medicine according to your schedule. If possible, have other family members trained to give your treatment in case you cannot give it to yourself.
- If you do miss a dose, ask your doctor or home health caregiver for instructions. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Each brand of medicine has different instructions for how to store it. Follow the directions for your brand. Most brands need to be stored in the refrigerator. Some brands can be stored at room temperature for 3 or 6 months. Ask your caregiver if you are not sure how to store your brand. Do not use this medicine after the expiration date.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart or blood vessel problems or von Willebrand disease.
- AHF may be taken from donated human blood. This blood has been tested for viruses and treated to keep from spreading infections. The risk of getting HIV, AIDS, or hepatitis from this medicine is very low, but it cannot be completely eliminated. As a precaution, you should receive a hepatitis A or B vaccine. AHF products that are not taken from human blood are also available. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
- Call your doctor right away if you continue to have bleeding problems even after using this medicine. Also call if your medicine does not seem to be working as well as usual.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision
- Dark urine, pale stools, yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Tingling in the arm, ear, and face
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.