Anthralin (On the skin)
Drithocreme, Zithranol, Zithranol-RR
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- While applying this medicine to your scalp, shampoo and rinse your hair with water before and after each treatment period. Apply this medicine to the affected area while the hair is still damp.
- This medicine will stain fabrics, plastics, or bathroom surfaces. Use a protective bandage or covering over the treated area to avoid staining of your clothes or bed linens.
- After bathing or showering, rinse and clean your bathtub or shower to prevent staining of the tile, plastic, or porcelain.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe soreness where the medicine is applied.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Discoloration of your hair, skin, or nails.
- Mild skin rash, redness, or itching where the medicine is applied.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.