Antacid, aluminum and magnesium (By mouth)
Treats indigestion, gas, heartburn, peptic ulcers, and other digestive problems.
Acid Gone, Almacone, Almacone Double Strength, Aluminum & Magnesium Hydroxide/Simethicone, Antacid, Antacid Anti-Gas, Antacid Extra Strength, Antacid Liquid, Antacid w/Simethicone, Foaming Antacid, Gaviscon ESRF, Gaviscon Esrf, Gaviscon Extra Strength, Gaviscon Regular Strength, Geri-Lanta
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Liquid, Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- If you are being treated for peptic ulcer, keep using this medicine for as long as your doctor tells you to.
- Shake the oral liquid just before using. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Chew the chewable tablet before swallowing. Do not swallow whole.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use antacids within 1 to 2 hours before or after using other medicines.
- If you are using this medicine for an ulcer, be sure to follow any diet instructions given to you by your doctor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- You should not use certain brands of this medicine if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis, because they may harm your kidneys. Ask your caregiver what brands are best for you.
- Antacids may contain large amounts of salt. Talk to your doctor before taking this medicine if you are on a low-sodium (low-salt) diet.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Excessive weakness or tiredness
- Severe stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Unpleasant or chalky taste
- White colored stools
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.