Amlodipine/olmesartan (By mouth)
Amlodipine Besylate (am-LOE-di-peen BES-i-late), Olmesartan Medoxomil (ol-me-SAR-tan me-DOX-oh-mil)
Treats high blood pressure. This medicine contains a calcium channel blocker (CCB) and an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take this medicine together with aliskiren if you have diabetes.
- Some medicines can affect how amlodipine/olmesartan works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- A diuretic (water pill), such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, torsemide
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine, such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen
- If you also take colesevelam, take it at least 4 hours after you take amlodipine/olmesartan.
- Ask your doctor before you use any medicine, supplement, or salt substitute that contains potassium.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or low sodium levels. Tell your doctor if you have heart or blood vessel disease such as obstructive coronary artery disease, angina, aortic stenosis, or heart failure.
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much, especially when you first use it or if you are dehydrated. Stand or sit up slowly if you feel lightheaded or dizzy.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Severe chronic diarrhea with weight loss (could occur months to years after you start taking this medicine)
- Worsening symptoms of an existing heart problem
- Do not stop using this medicine without asking your doctor, even if you feel well. This medicine will not cure your high blood pressure, but it will help keep it in a normal range. You may have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, bloody or cloudy urine
- Chest pain that is worse than usual or spreads to your arms, jaw, back, or neck
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Severe diarrhea with weight loss, nausea
- Trouble breathing, unusual sweating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.