Aminoglutethimide (By mouth)
Treats the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome (adrenal gland disorder).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
If a dose is missed:
- You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using dexamethasone (Decadron®), or blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin®).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breast feeding. Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Cough, fever.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Extreme weakness or drowsiness.
- Fast heartbeat.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Pain in your upper stomach.
- Severe vomiting.
- Yellowing of your skin or whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, muscle pain.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite.
- Swelling in your throat or neck.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.