Helps prevent liver damage caused by an overdose of acetaminophen.
Acetadote, Novaplus Acetylcysteine
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine will be given to you while you are in the hospital. It is put directly into your body through one of your veins.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine works best when given within 8 to 10 hours after the overdose.
- You will get a dose of the medicine right away. You will continue to get the medicine for about 20 hours to make sure the medicine is working and is not causing side effects.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have asthma or other breathing problems.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Facial flushing or rash
- Redness, pain, or swelling where the IV is given
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Coughing, hoarseness, or sore throat
- Mild nausea or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 8/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.